Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Becoming a Knitter

Hi everybody! I'm Brenda the other half of CraftMore Girls. Knitters know me as StringThingGirl.
I learned how to crochet at a young age and by crochet, I mean a granny square and that was pretty much the extent of my repertoire.  I went to college in NYC and took the bus in and out when I needed to come home. Bus trips are not conducive to reading or studying so I needed something to keep me busy on those rides. I picked up a how to crochet book, a ball of yarn, and some hooks and reoriented myself with my old hobby.  I loved it but didn't really get past the afghan stage.  I soon discovered Interweave Crochet magazine and was introduced to the selection of yarns available outside of the local big box and all the beautiful things you could make with them that weren't afghans.  My love grew deeper and I fell harder for yarn.  I swore I would stay loyal to crochet. Then I discovered self-patterning sock yarns. I had to learn to knit socks, but first I had to learn to knit. And I did. I taught myself to knit. I taught myself to knit socks.  I discovered lace shawls. And now I am a Knitter. I teach others to knit and I share my passion of yarn and knitting with anyone who gives me an opening.
I'm so glad to have to venue to share all things craft-y with you. Most of our endeavors will be of the yarn variety but don't be surprised to see some quilting (which I am learning) and cross-stitch (which I learned before I learned to crochet at a very young age).  We can't wait to share our fiber filled adventures with you. 
Stay tuned for our recap of an evening with the Yarn Harlot coming early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment