Wednesday, April 24, 2013

in which a crafty girl becomes a knitter

Welcome to the CraftMoreGirls. I'm Deb, one half of the pair...

I was not a knitter. My mom is the knitter. She's got mad skills. My love of fiber was focused around fabric. Calicos. Quilting. Give me yards of the stuff and let me cut it into little pieces and stitch it all back together again. Oh, I'd dabbled with yarn. A few crocheted afghans and the ubiquitous knit-flat slipper pattern, but that was all. I'd looked at knitting patterns. Foreign language. All those Ks and Ps and numbers and *s. What did all that mean? Forget it. Never mind. I'll be over here under a pile of fabric scraps, thankyouverymuch.

Then my dear mother showed me a cute little wool vest she was knitting for a (now defunct) charity. Easy pattern. I could do that. I did it. I made a bunch of little vests and cleverly designed easy-peasy sweaters.

Maybe I could do a hat. On those other needles. That couldn't be that hard. It wasn't. It was a personal triumph when I figured out DPNs all.by.myself. Then came the circulars. Ooooh. They were fun. More hats. Then a shrug out of "nice" yarn for my daughter.

Meanwhile, my mother had branched out. She was now knitting socks. On tiny little needles. Was she crazed? I was never going to do that. Then I saw them. The Double Heelix socks. I Had To Have Them., and the only way to get them was to make them. ::sigh:: I chose an easy pattern and set out. Cheap yarn. I won't say what yarn, except that I hate it now, and will never use it again. All was well until I got to the heel. That's where Brenda, the other half of the CraftMoreGirls came in... she walked me through the mystery of turning a heel, and I never looked back. Now I knit socks and sweaters and fussy lace shawls - with beads even! I'm even learning to spin.

Stay tuned... tonight I'm blocking a shawl and I'll post photos!

☮ ♡ ☕ Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment